My literary works

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Pennsylvania Dutch Country

I have been at the PA Dutch Country RV Resort, outside Manheim Pennsylvania, for the past two weeks.  This is a very nice resort and a wonderful area to explore.  We've been to several of the surrounding communities for one reason or another.  One thing, among many, that I had forgotten about he east, was that the towns are small here, close together, and the streets are narrow.  I have encountered more one way streets in the last two weeks than I have in the past 30 years.  At least they're not over run with round-a-bouts. 

Our local post office was difficult enough to find.  With having to keep a keen eye on the road, I passed right by it.  There's hardly any place to park where you don't get run over while you're attempting to get out of your vehicle. 

The local farmers markets abound with fresh veggies, meats, cheeses, baked goods, sandwiches and crafts of every kind and nature.  There is a huge farmers market not far from here called Root's Country Market & Auction.  Prices are fair, but you need to look around before buying.  There's always some one with a little better price.  I have seen many Amish and Mennonite's working there in different booths.  Very nice people, but they looked a little unhappy to me.  I am not sure if it was the heat and humidity, or the economic situation, that has forces them to have contact with those outside their communities.  I've noticed their presents in the local Wal-Mart as well. 

My plan is to stay in this resort another two weeks then move to another a few miles up the road, closer to Hershey.  I will be there for three weeks before beginning the long trek west. 

I have found a solution to the window problem in my car, that is working out.  I used a 'pool noodle' to fill the biggest part of the gap and Duck tape to secure it with.  It is lasting longer than Duck tape alone.

This picture is from Austinburg, OH., a quaint Midwestern town.
I've shrunk some in the humidity.

Well, that's all, for now I'll continue to sit and ponder what could/might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment