My literary works

Friday, February 21, 2014

From then 'til now

Last week I was re-arranging my movie storage cabinet.  I found what I thought was a VHS head cleaner tape.   I had been looking for one for awhile now but when I pulled the tape from it's sleeve I discovered a video that was made before Cookie and I got married.  Now, most of us have some memories of the beginning of our lives together.  Mostly pictures or memento's of some sort, even if it's just memories.  Ours, along with all the other stuff, was a copy of the news story about how we met during Desert Shield/Storm.  All the letters and the phone calls and how when we met for the first time.  I slipped it in the VCR and we watched with admiration, amazement and astonishment.  If I remember correctly the interview was in April of '91.  It made mention of our up-coming nuptials in August of that year which we changed(on a whim) to May.  It astonished me how we sounded back then and how different especially Cookie sounded.  I still make fun of her accent but never realized just how SOUTHERN she sounded until reviewing the tape.  We were young, slender and in love.  Now we're older, rounder and still in love. 

I have great respect for my wife, unlike some people we know that have none for theirs.  I read their blog and they refer to their spouse in the 3rd person or as an inanimate object.  This disgusts me to no end.

We haven't been doing very much so far this year.  We left the Palm Springs area for Laughlin NV to hook up with our Louisiana friends Chris and Oscar.  We had a good time but it was way to short.  We left after a day for Gila Bend AZ, I had a pre-race meeting to attend.  It is the 50th anniversary of racing at Phoenix International Raceway.  A lot of hub bub going on the entire year. 

It has been unseasonably warm.  I have been watching the weather and it doesn't seem like it's going to let up any time soon.  The reason I mention this that when we're camped at the track we have no electricity hence no air conditioning. 

Laughlin at night.  The Tropicana,
The Pioneer
 and the River Palms.
 Our Friend Chris modeling a scarf Cookie has made.

We enjoy the beautiful sunsets in Gila Bend.


 
 
 
Cookie read this one before publishing.  She approves.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment